Sunday, June 5, 2011

Builds Character

Builds character. That's my standard statement to my kids when they're dealing with something difficult. It could be a hard situation at school, it could be dealing with people they don't care for, it could be cleaning up dog poop or puke or pee, it could be loading the dishwasher. It's kind of a joke around here. Anytime the kids start complaining about having to do something or a trying situation they'll say, "I know. It builds character."
I guess I didn't really expect them to display the character building until later in their lives. I imagined one of them in or after college would display some character in dealing with not getting along with a professor, changing majors and following their heart, dealing with a relationship and coming out of it having learned something. I didn't expect I'd get to see it in the way it unfolded tonight.
During dance recital all was going swimmingly (a term I think is ridiculously underutilized). All was in place, running smoothly, the dancers looked great. I was enjoying Copelia and watching the oldest on pointe in front of 1,000 people. And she looked good! She knew her dance. She was in sync with the other dancers, all in all a great performance. And at half way through, she fell. Hard. And I worried that she may be hurt. But I was more worried that she hurt her pride. The easy way out would have been to lie there or run off stage. I think I may have. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I would have.
But my oldest, fell hard and without missing a beat got up. And danced. Even got back on pointe the very next step. And I couldn't have been prouder of her. She's a good kid. I need to remember that. And tell her that. She definitely has built character over her lifetime.
I was proud of myself as well. I didn't rush to her aid, because I'm pretty sure we both would have fallen apart. And when I did see her backstage a few songs later and she asked, "Did you see me fall?" I told her, "No. I saw you get up."
I guess we built a lot of character tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment