Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's ba-aaack!

So, it's back. My on-again, off-again relationship with insomnia. I've had trouble sleeping since I was a kid. My mom would vouch for that. Anyone who has ever lived with me can attest to it...or maybe not because they all seem to SLEEP! It's not just that I have trouble getting to sleep, or staying asleep, it's that sleep is always so close yet so unattainable. I sound like a commercial for the butterfly pill where you're not supposed to operate heavy machinery. Here's my point: I want to be able to lie down in bed and not think of the 100 things I need to complete tomorrow or 99 I did not complete today. I want to lie down, close my eyes and go to sleep like when I was a ki...oh, right, I've had these issues all my life. Maybe it's because I couldn't sleep as a kid that I have trouble sleeping as an adult. I do some of the right things. I have a routine that I use on occasion. I do yoga at least once a year. I don't drink before bed, except when I've been out drinking.
Here's the cruel irony: I love sleep. The one thing I miss most about my life before kids (& now the dog) is sleep. I miss being able to sleep in until it hurts to stay in bed one minute longer. I would relish an uninterrupted nap while a predictable yet highly entertaining Lifetime Movie plays in the background. I think sleep is underrated by those who come by it easily.  Maybe it's that we we want we can't have. I don't know, but sleep is an amazing thing.
My biggest issue is with others who can literally fall asleep sitting in a chair in the middle of a room full of people. What the hell? I can't sleep in my own amazing bed, with great sheets, in perfectly controlled comfort, with not a lot of noise. And you can fall asleep while I'm talking to you? In a room with other people? In a wooden chair no less! Seriously? Most annoying is my own life partner. Is it necessary to flaunt that you can sleep anywhere at any time? Apparently so.
Here's my point. I love sleep. I want sleep. I need sleep. I can't sleep. I don't see this getting better anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious... I have fought insomnia since my teenage years so can empathize. In my What About Nat? post I mention the date who fell asleep while talking to him. He was sitting upright in a chair. If only. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete